There are times that I feel super old. Yesterday at my lunch table, I was the only person who was born before 1990. While it is kind of mind boggling that kids born in 1992 can buy alcohol, I am more concerned that those kids are actual professionals in the real world. They lack an entire frame of reference. They don't remember watching the Goonies every day or quoting the Princess Bride or taping a song off the radio. It's like they aren't even people. At some point, they asked me what made me nostalgic for the 1990s. After careful consideration, here is my list.
1) Angst. Respectable angst when we all wore flannel and wanted to try heroin not wear eyeliner and cut ourselves.
2) Wearing jeans and drinking a latte. Now, all my lattes are consumed in pencil skirts and reasonable trousers in uninteresting but respectable colors before a long day of working at a job that is marginally socially acceptable. Long gone are the lazy days of slacking and doctoring my coffee drinks with so much dairy and sugar I couldn't appreciate the level of craftmanship required to make it. Plus the only lesbian to buy me a drink was totally coffee and totally in the 90s.
3) Sweaters. A guy in an oversized sweater and shell necklace instantly transports me to high school.
4) Belly shirts and overalls and baby doll dresses. Everyone wore belly shirts, even me. Hell, I was on the front page of my college newspaper wearing a belly shirt, and I am not the special. I was horrified when overalls started to come back into style ironically referencing fashion trends from my coming of age.
No comments:
Post a Comment